For the meatballs: 1lb of ground beef, 1 lb of Italian sausage, a bunch of parsley (chopped), 2c shredded cheese (I used TJ’s 4 cheese blend with parm, fontina, asiago, and provolone), 1c breadcrumbs, 2 eggs, salt/pepper/oregano
For the sauce: 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, 1 large onion (diced), a couple cloves of garlic, a small handful of the chopped parsley, salt/pepper/oregano
- First I preheated the oven to 400. Meanwhile, I mixed all the ingredients for the meatballs until evenly combined.
- Then I formed golf-ball sized meatballs (made about 35)and placed them on a greased baking sheet. I set the timer for about 25 minutes total, but halfway through I turned the meatballs so they would brown more evenly.
- While the meatballs were baking, I made the sauce. First I cooked the chopped onion in some oil for 5-7 minutes with a little bit of the chopped parsley and added some minced garlic. Then I put in both (28oz) cans of crushed tomatoes and left it to bubble.
- After it started bubbling I reduced the heat a little bit and left the sauce to reduce (on medium heat for about 35 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce was reducing I made the other stuff for dinner: cooked the pasta (I had a box of penne) and also sauteed some spinach with a little bit of garlic.
- I stored the meatballs for freezing with the sauce (I had a little bit left over that I put in a jar for some future date).
Finally for lunch this week I had a small sandwich (English muffin, slice of prosciutto, a handful of arugula, some of the shredded cheese from above) and salad (black olives, frozen peas (they thaw before lunch), some cheese, and the arugula).